About Me

My photo
I am a Contemporary Photographer specializing in Children, Families, Weddings, Seniors and Maternity.

Welcome to my Blog!

I am a photographer specializing in photo journalistic natural light photography. I truly fall in love with my subjects, whether it be the soft breathing of a newborn, the mischievous smile of a toddler, or the way a new bride and groom hold each other like it's the most natural thing in the world. I find myself seeing the beauty in every person I photograph, I believe it's my job to find what truly makes them sparkle and capture that. I am passionate about photography and I hope to share my passion with you.

Monday, December 1, 2008

You better work....

...do your thang, on the runway... :) This family makes me think of that song, they are stylin for sure. This is my uncle, aunt and cousins, and they have helped me answer the question that I always get which is "what should I wear for my portraits?" Here is what they did oh so right:
1. Layers
I LOVE layers, if you think your outfit or your kiddo's outfit needs a little "something" extra, add a layer...... a jacket, a vest, a scarf, a hat, especially in winter time, they just give the outfit a little more pizazz.
2. Match, but don't match.
I am not a fan of the "lets all wear white button down shirts that look exactly alike" you don't dress like that in normal life, why would you on picture day? Now don't get me wrong, I definitely want you to coordinate, but that means different clothing that seems to mesh well together. So, here's the rule of thumb, don't wear totally different styles, so if you want to wear a nice cocktail dress and pumps for your photo, don't let your hubby wear shorts and flip flops. Another good rule of thumb is that the colors be in the same color family, so the family below chose to do outfits in blacks/grays/etc... then they switched to bright colors, reds, blues, greens, etc... and it works so well!
3. Be YOU
This is the most important rule of all, if you are not a dress, heels and hose type of girl, then PLEASE don't try that on picture day, because it will show in your photo's that you are not comfortable. And if your kiddo hates wearing patent leather shoes and tights, then as adorable as they are stick them in some jeans or sneakers or whatever they feel their "best" in. I want to capture you as yourself, just a shined up version of yourself, but still you. :)
.

No comments: